Pages

March 09, 2011

Hectic day!



Today is a record. I had 4 patients; 2 for prosthodontics, 2 for paeds.


I was so nervous to do this actually. But I don't have any option. I'm running out of time so I have to maximize every single session I had. I was really worried about having 2 patients for prost actually. Prost is a session where I make stuff like denture (gigi pelesu) and in the future (a near one hopefully) crown and bridges.


Awal-awal dolu-dolu normally I would take the whole session for each patient in prost. Nak buat gigi pelesu ni banyak stages dia. All the teeth, the gum, and the way the teeth are biting together needed to be reproduced in the cast. Ye lah kena la ada cast kan bukannya bleh cabut mulut orang tu nak buat gigi pelesu. Jadi kena lah buat copy.


But thank God everything goes smoothly in Prost today eventhough I barely made it before 12. Malam sebelum tu siap solat hajat mintak lembut hati semua supervisor and semoga treatment berjalan lancar. Ye begitu sekali risaunya.


Move on the to the afternoon session - Paediatrics. Yakni rawatan gigi untuk school kids either from 1st, 3rd or 6th class. Kalau kat Malaysia dentist datang sekolah ke sekolah tapi kat sini kita panggil diorang datang hospital for checkup. Still free, tapi this would need parent's cooperation to send the kids to the hospital lah. To be honest, since I started treating kids, my love towards them has deteriorated. I believe I told this already in my previous posts.


Why is it so hard to treat kids? Well, these are my opinion, based on my experience.


1. It's so hard to get them to open mouth and maintain a wide opening. Tiap-tiap kali pun kena cakap, OPEN WIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEE FOR ME LOVE. Ye, tona percakapan kena lemah lembut bergaya gitu. Dulu time sekolah2 rasanya dentist saya cakap pun tak sangat. Datang, bukak mulut, pastu dia cakap dgn nurse suh tanda gigi itu ini. Pastu blah. Tu je. Yang sini macam kena ayat bunga2 pujuk2 intan payung bucuk bucuk.

2. They get tired and bored easily. That's why the time of treatment is limited to maximum 1 hour.

3. The parents. You know how some parents are quite protective of their child. So I'm dealing with the kids, as well as the parents. I need to gain trust from both sides...which is quite hard really.

4. Some kids are scared of dentists. Eceyh ni takyah kata budak orang besar pun sama. Tapi it's harder to deal with nervous kids because they can cry ke lari ke. Orang tua takkan nak nangis pulak kan bughuk benar ghupenye. But so far my kids are ok la. Cuma ada sorang je budak laki ni dia tak nangis sedu sedan tapi tengah-tengah tengok gigi dia tiba-tibe je air mata meleleh. Aduhhh syahdu sunggoh!

5. This is more like my personal problem. There's this one supervisor which is quite hard to deal with. He's a really good doctor. He wants to teach us well but it's just the way he conveys the stuff which makes my life harder. He's a perfectionist too so everything need to be done neatly, which is a good thing la actually but it could be quite stressing given the difficulties I'm having in paeds.


Tapi Alhamdulillah things went well in Paeds today. My first kid was so cheerful eventhough this was her first dental visit. She went all giddy up when I was dropping down the chair and when I blow air onto her teeth. At the end of the session she went "aahh I love going to dentist" which really made my heart melt and really made this whole tiring day felt better.


Thank God I survived today.


Badan and otak menjerit2 nak tido tapi tak study lagi oiii machammaneniiiiii.


Esoklah citer pasai buat roti :)

Baiiiiiiiiiiiii

No comments: