Pages

November 10, 2010

The most chaotic 10 minutes



Last Monday I had my oral surgery session. This is the session where I see patient who comes to dentist because they are in pain. Currently we are undergoing extraction training so they are trying to expose us to as many extraction as they could. Extracting tooth is HARD. Like you really need to be strong and confident with whatever you are dealing with. Tapi menarik owh tengok muka orang terseksa kena cabut gigi. Kalau lelaki gagah pun bleh nak tarik2 muka senget2 because extraction is a very very very unpleasant treatment, trust me.


My friend and I were attending to this Spanish lady. She had pericoronitis (infection on the crown of tooth. Cam infection dekat gigi la. Normally kalau dapat lebih 2 kali kita cabut that tooth, especially if it is your third molar/gigi geraham yg paling lambat tumbuh tu) twice on that tooth. So we injected local anaesthesia and was ready to extract the tooth. That day there was a 4th year high school boy who came to oral surgery for attachment just to gain experience. Both of the parents are dentist so they kinda want to introduce him to the life of dental student with hope that he would follow their footsteps la kot kan.

the red patient on the dental chair, tengah cuak-cuak. me and my friend in orange. and the cuak kid in blue


So...we started extracting the tooth. They were soft tissue covering like half of the tooth so we had to incise it with scalpel to expose the tooth. Jadinya membuak-buak la darah keluar. I was too focused on the patient cause I never had this kinda case before. It was quite a hard extraction and Dr McK took over from us and finished the extraction by himself. It was quite a struggle. Gigi tu nak korek keluar, mata orang tu dah terpejam-pejam and she finally broke down and cried. By the time the tooth is loose, she was crying already and dia macam nak telan air liur pastu she fudging swallowed her tooth. Adoihhh lapar ke kak sampai nak makan gigi sendiriiiiii.

When we were in the middle of that chaos suddenly the 4th year kid jatuh melentang kedepan pengsan. Free fall gitu and he slammed the floor really hard ok. oh.em.gee..dahlah dia terjatuh righttt in front of me and the left side of his face hit the floor sangat kuat ok. We didn't even realized he was all pale cause we were too engaged with the patient. Lagiii la minah yg tengah nangis2 trauma baru cabut gigi tu terkojuit. Luckily he fell down after we were done with the extraction. Cuba bayangkan kalau dia jatuh pastu terkena forceps yg kite tengah pegang dalam mulut orang tu. Fuuu~~~ I don't even want to imagine!
the kid fell right in front of me. my partner was standing beside him. the patient has already cried.


Luckily everything was grand. We took a chest xray and the tooth didn't go down the respiratory tract. She practically ate her own tooth and gonna be shitting tooth in a few days. LOL.


p.s : I'm back from Nottingham, safe and sound. The trip was good. I really had goooooodddd fooooood! But the tiredness is gonna lasts throughout the week. I haven't really had a chance to rest fully. Last Monday ingat nak skip class to take a break but I forced myself to go. Nasib la pergi kalau tak, tak dapat tengok budak pengsan. hihihi..

1 comment:

Tengku Atique said...

TROLOLOL i think the parents might have just managed to achieve the exact opposite of what they aimed for!