Pages

February 19, 2010

Of amalgam fillings

Saya sangat kurang gemar menggunakan amalgam sebagai filling! Noktah!


Okay here we go again..my endless ramblings about my OTL sessions. So sekarang kitorang still doing restoration work, doing fillings, specifically amalgam. Seriously, amalgam ni mak oihhhhh sakitnya hati nak buat because :

#1 It doesn't bond to your tooth. So the cavities are prepared in a way it can hold the amalgam from falling. Contohnye la kan (tatau contoh betul ke tak) macam kerja-kerja kayu, pakai tanggam, tapi tak guna paku. So the design is made in which the amalgam and tooth are placed with very minimum possibilities of falling apart.


#2 Amalgam, before it sets is powder. So kena pack the amalgam to the cavities kuat-kuat. My Prof said, "you must feel the pain on your hand" baru betul amalgam tu mampat. And of course, selalu je ah dia terjatuh-jatuh when we are filling it.


#3 Once the amalgam is set, you can no longer do any amendments on your fillings. So within the setting time, which is approx la roughly 10 mins, you have to get it all done. The height of the fillings in compared to adjacent tooth kena betul, the curvatures kena betul. If not, kena dig it out again and do it all over again.


The second tooth I did my amalgam filling, I had to redo it about 3 times. The first tooth was okay because the cavity is simple. Tapi the second one....I nearly gave up and macam nak lari-lari anak menangis kerana kecewa tak bleh buat. hahaha over. Nasib ah I gathered up myself and kept holding on til I finished it. Siap baca selawat segala in my last attempt sebab memang serius dah tak tahan dah nak menghadap the tooth anymore.


Today I did the third tooth, which is more challenging because it's an upper tooth, so lagi senang lah amalgam tu nak jatuh-jatuh selalu kan and nak kena tengok plak the work through mirror instead of direct vision. Amazingly, I managed to do it in the first attempt! I wasn't so sure with my work so as usual lah I had Prof to check it out and surprisingly he said

"hurrmmm, the marginal ridge is good...the carvings are fairly good. So...okay, yeah"


I was dumbfounded that my eyes nearly teared. HAHAHHAHA over nak mampus. Then I asked again to clarify and he said "yeah, it's okay" and he asked me how many time did I do the filling and I happily said "ONCE!" Prof gave me a thumb up eventhough my work is not the best but at least I managed to do it in one go! Rasa loser sangat benda-benda kecik camni pun nak hemohemo tapi serioussss terganggu emosi kalau tak dapat buat benda ni.


Weh risaunye saya requirement for clinics tak jumpa suitable patient lagi. Ya Allah, please ease my way to fulfill the requirement. Temukanlah saya with someone who has simple carious lesion or someone who needs a not so complex fillings. Amiin.

No comments: