Pages

December 14, 2011

Of Radiology And Of Slowly Becoming A Psychotic

Twice in 10 weeks, I'll be doing a rotation in the radiology department. What we did was mainly learning how to take a radiograph/xray (how to position it etc) and how to interpret the radiograph.

Since 3rd year, I've been witnessing seniors being what I used to think as a 'torture' whenever they are interpreting the radiograph..coz we have this one doctor who will be questioning us all sorts of stuff from A-Z..what crossed my mind at that time was I'll be definitely dead when I'm in the dept. The doctor is very well-known and is one of the best in oral radiology I must say.


Come 4th year..I only got like 3/4 chances to be in the dept. And I really didn't quite grasp the 'subject' yet. To master radiology I think you must first master your anatomy. One thing you should know nadzirah and anatomy doesn't really blend well.. But I got away in 4th year because most of the time there are 3 of us doing the rotation so I can always dodge the question and pass it to my partners..


Now that I'm a fifth year I realized that I need to stop running away from my disguise towards anatomy and start to face it. I tried to spend the night before the rotation trying to revise so I will look more of like a fifth year in front of him (the doctor).


Today I was alone in the dept. My partner was sick. I thought to myself that this is it. This is the time to face my 'fear'.


So there I was spending my 3 hours taking tonnes of radiographs and interpreting them one by one with him. I must say that was one of the best moments ever because it was kinda like a one to one tutorial and I learned a lot of stuff. The best thing was I managed to answer most of his braincracking questions although of course..there were few silly mistakes here and there (like what comes after 1? I answered 10. Lol it's 2 you bimbo!)


The tiredness of going to and fro taking r/g for 9-10 patients and going 3 hours without sitting paid off when he finally gave me an 'Excellent' remark. Other people might think it isn't a big deal but to me it is because I never got one from him. It was such a good feeling because I finally managed to impress him..although I think I should work on my confidence more because I kept on doubting myself eventho my answers are correct.


So that's how my Tuesday went by. 3 more days to go and I think I've started to losing my sanity. I became tired really easily, I became mad really reaaaaaaally easy. It's SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and pre exam stress disorder combined and I tell you it's a really really ugly condition..
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

1 comment:

A.R.E.L.E.E.Z.A.F.F.E.N.D.Y said...

worth it! congrats, dear sis! ;)