Pages

November 16, 2010

Krak! and Eid Mubarak! (wooo it rhymes!)

Today in the oral surgery, I extracted a tooth when I'm not at my very best state. I was less energized as I was fasting (lol badan besar camni puasa sikit pun lemah) so when Dr McK selected me to do the extraction I was quite worry.


So this lady came in for extraction. Since there aren't many extraction cases this afternoon he told 5 of us to see this lady. This is the thing when you come to a teaching hospital. A lot of the time you'll be surrounded by students and around this time of the year, we are just starting with extraction courses and are not quite familiar with that.


All five of us in our navy blue scrubs were busy attending to this lady, either pura-pura doing something or betul-betul doing something. lol. 1 took history, 1 did clinical examination, 1 prepared the consent form, 1 set up the L/A, 1 went to get the forceps and locksetter.


Local anaesthesia was administered and when the patient has gone numb, the best part is about to start. Usually Dr McK would start and show us what to do. Then he will let us in the middle to finish it. He started by loosening the periodontal ligament around the tooth with the locksetter. Ala-ala nak cabut ubi kentang, kita clear2 kan dlu akar/tanah tepi tu. When it's loose, we use the forceps to take out the tooth. You must be strong, and confident. Don't hesitate and know what you are doing!


In the middle of pulling the tooth out of the socket the scary KRAK sound was heard and the other 4 of the girls who were looking at me doing the extraction was hissing in unison. Lol, way to go guys. Gua tengah cuak lu buat bunyi gua bertambah cuak. That's a sign something is cracking, either the root or the tooth itself. I stopped for a while as the tooth was not moving and corrected my grip and position (with the help of Dr McK) so 1 pull, 2 pull, 3 pull and PUP! out the tooth go. Luckily none of the tooth pieces were missing so we are all good.


Inilah dia everyday life in my student life. I know people hates going to dentist because..well, our 'work' gives this unpleasant feeling, the instruments are very ((FUDGE I'M TRYING TO GET THIS ONE WORD OUT OF MY BRAIN I CAN'T)) "disturbing" and the positions when we work are somewhat awkward. I know, I know. Tapi apa mahu buatt. That's life~ haha tetibe..


I asked permission from Dr McK to go back earlier today since I wanted to prepare for break fast...

Me : Dr McK, can I go back earlier today coz I'm fasting today so I want to prepare for break fast
Dr McK : Why are you fasting today, are u having another big celebration or something?
Me : Yup, there's another one tomorrow (malas nak terangkan lelebih.lol)
Dr McK : Oh yea yea so you wanna go back and cook those delicious food yea you can go back now if you want
Me : *surprised* ...like NOW? you meant NOW (it's only 3 at that time. I thought of going back at 4 camtu)
Dr McK : Yup, if you want. We won't be doing anything much today anyway..
Me : *happy* thank youuuuu


He's now officially my 2nd favourite doctor after Prof McC! lol

Anywayyyyy


Salam Aidiladha everyoneee..Eid Mubarak! kali ni kitorang ikut Saudi punya raya haji plak raya esok..I canceled my afternoon patient so I could go to the open house tomorrow. Teeheee..





4 comments:

herie said...

Salam...

oh.. best post ni... :-)
tooth extraction tu memang perlu kekuatan tangan kan?...:-)

anak abah said...

my heart KRAK dgr takbir...ohh,syahduu..

n Z r A said...

herie : yup, mmg. dr ktorang ni tough gile tangan dia. lol


nadia : my heart goes kuruk kuruk kuruk kecebur kecebur tsk tsk tsk dengar takbir...

hatim a.r said...

i have exams today at 5.how cruel is that huh?