Pages

May 08, 2010

Don't stop believing, hold onto that feeling

I don't know whether I'm being extra emotional because of all of this exam stress or what but today I felt so touched when looking at our patient's oral cavity. :')


A few months ago she came in with quite a bad oral hygiene, with extensive caries, calculus, plaque and all those unpretty things. It was quite bad that our supervisor had me and my partner both working on her so we could get her to come every week since she needed a lot of things to be done on her mouth. First time she came, she even need an L/A for scaling because she couldn't really tolerate the pain because the gum was badly inflamed.


The second time she came for treatment, there wasn't much improvement since the first time. We couldn't do much scaling during the first visit so when she came for the second time the plaque accumulated again. We laid out treatment plan and gave out detailed oral hygiene instruction to her. However, it is quite understandable as she is quite susceptible to plaque accumulation according to her social history and medical history.


It has been her 4/5th visit, and today we could see a lot of improvement. Looking at the composite resin filling that I did on her even moved me. wakaka..emo tak pasal2. I admired my supervisor's skill on associating how their lives as mothers (she's a young mother anyway) and get the patient to understand how important it is to brush your teeth correctly. The patient went away with smiling face, different as compared to her first treatment.


Seeing things like this had somehow given me strength to go on in this course. Yes, people out there might think we, dentist could never save lives. But I'm happy to know my not-saving-lives contribution mean something to my patient. I would love to help to improve one's quality of life and self-esteem.


This is not an essay to get me accepted for a scholarship ke ape. It's just one of those thing that I had to highlight and reflect to remind me I WANT and CAN do this. You see my motivation is so falling apart now. Really needed something to get me going on. Never that I thought life could be this hard but I know He wouldn't give me something that I can't tolerate, no?


Haha bencilah emo emo gini. Padahai sebnanye ni sebab stress nak exam and homesick tahap apa je ni. Surrounding atmosphere is not helping either. Had there been sunshine all the day or rainbow after the rain life could be better, yes?

No comments: