Pages

April 21, 2010

BREAKING the BAD NEWS!!

Today during my clinical session we had this tutorial session on breaking bad news. So basically we have to learn how to break the bad news to the patient. There are few steps need to be followed. Things that we have to be concerned about etc etc.


What sort of bad news do we have in dentistry, you might be thinking? Banyak, really. Like you've been going to 4-5 treatments of root canal but in the end complication happens and you have to extract the tooth? You come for one routine dental checkup but you ended up being diagnosed to some sort of cancer ke? You encountered some physical trauma ke infection ke periodontal disease and you have to take out your front tooth? Yeah, all sort of things that would affect your life. That will involve a lot of money. That will affect your appearance. You geddit?


So we had this role play with our supervisors. My case was, a lady came for extraction of her molar tooth, had complication, the root fractured, on the way to "dig out" the root, it somehow ended up in the maxillary sinus. So she'll need some minor surgical procedure, might need a general anaes jugak bla bla bla...


My supervisor was such a good actress. She went on from a happy patient. To an angry one. And suddenly she cried. The big problem was firstly, despite spending three years in this Irishland, I am nothing close to be a good English speaker. I know I should be ashamed of this and okay, I'll try to improve allrite?

Secondly, I am kinda suck in my anatomy and I had to sketch in aiding her to understand the complication but my sketch was kinda....eeehhhh? Yelah as a patient of course we have to come out with a simpler terms and all. She asked what is maxillary sinus and how come tooth can go into the sinus and all but I don't know how to answerrrrrrr...Dah lah I know it was acting so I didn't take it seriously. I even giggled a bit when she started "crying" FAIL WEHHH. Dahlah this is gonna be a component of my OSCE. Die la die...need to start working on my communication skill now. tsk..


ehhhh ni pelajar dentistry ke pelajar Tadika Sayangku seksyen 19, Shah Alam?
siot ah malu gile bile teringat sketch sendiri...


However, little that I know that I myself is gonna be having the bad news plak tonight. I know I haven't got the email yet. Cuma rakan-rakan UK je dapat but I assume what affects them, affects us as well, no? Tatau lah kan..because biasa duit kitorang masuk dari Citibank, diorang dari CIMB ehhhh tak sama ke?

Eh tatau lah. What's important is, if this little piece of bad news is gonna affect me as well...my oh my....memang gua nak gantung diri


ze bad news. credit to ze owner of the fb.


sebab tgh mood nak sketch so here you go, carta kemiskinan gua. beli tiket balik to sepatutnya mark the greatest decrement of my $$ gile kau it costed more than a month of my scholarship tahuuuu...eh eh tapi bleh plak jalan sana-sini. Let just say, saya salah bajet. Boleh? Malas nak terangkan lelebih but simply said I miscalculated. Can?




ok dahlah. nak teruskan menyanyi kuat-kuat mengenang nasib diri :-(

3 comments:

aziahzuber ialah name saye. said...

oh my god!! akak dah final yr ni pon ade lg session breaking bad news tu tau. tiap2 tahun ade. erghh!!
tp enjoy gile tau berlakon. i dpt tahu i ade bakat terpendem sebagai pelakon rupenye. diorg (org2 yg bg tutorial itu) slalu suruh i jd patient since i boleh jd angry, depressed, or elated! ahahaha.. tp i tak suke jadik doktor. whaattt? hoho! cemane nk face real life ni. less than 3month to go! (if i made it through la kan)

*terpanjang plak cam entry blog aku pule*

autobodypart8 said...

yes the news is breaking but it is not good for our.
thanks

Volkswagen Grille

admin2 said...

subhanallah~~ biaq betui hang.. lambatnye masuk. agak2 sesak nafas dah ni.. moga2 Allah sentiasa cukupkan~

Nadz, mari kita berusaha JOM! selagi ada masa, iAllah, selagi itu kita akan berusaha dan berdoa dan berdoa dan bertawakkal dan bertawakkal lagi.
bittawfeeq wan najaah in your exams~~